For new vapers, it can often seem like there’s no end to the barrage of vaping information that comes their way. Choosing between a myriad of vape starter kits and e-liquid flavors is only the beginning; vapers must also decide exactly how they want to vape.
Mouth-to-lung (MTL) vaping and direct lung (DL) vaping are two distinctly different vape styles, each offering its own unique experience for vapers to enjoy.
Mouth-to-lung vaping is a method that’s typically familiar to former smokers, involving a two-step process that’s similar to using traditional cigarettes.
How to Mouth-to-Lung Vape
MTL vaping is a relatively simple process made up of three key steps:
- First, inhale the vapor into your mouth with a smooth drag, holding it there for a few seconds.
- Then, bring the vapor into your lungs.
- Finally, exhale the remaining vapor.
What You Need for MTL Vaping
For MTL vaping, you’ll usually find the most success with the following vape supplies:
- Vape devices that are specifically designed for MTL vaping (most are compatible)
- E-liquids with high propylene glycol (PG) ratio, particularly a 50:50 PG: VG balance
Direct Lung (DL)
Direct lung vaping is less widely used but equally enjoyable for vapers that prefer its straightforward approach.
How to Direct Lung Vape
DL vaping is a simple style that nearly any vaper can master:
- Pursing your lips, take a long, steady draw of vapor directly into your lungs.
- Exhale as normal.
What You Need for DL Vaping
If you’d like to try DL vaping, an optimal experience usually requires the following:
- A vape device with fully open or adjustable airflow
- E-liquids with higher vegetable glycerin (VG) ratio, such as 80:20 VG: PG or 70:30 VG: PG
MTL vs. DL Vaping: Which One is Right for You?
Like nearly anything else in the world of vaping, choosing between mouth-to-lung and direct lung vaping comes down to your personal preference. The distinct characteristics of each style may attract some vapers while deterring others – as long as you’re enjoying your way of vaping, that’s ultimately all that matters.
Here’s a short and sweet breakdown of the pros and cons of MTL and DL vaping:
- Often more comfortable for novice vapers
- Provides a satisfying throat hit that’s reminiscent of traditional cigarettes
- Ideal for savoring the flavor of e-juices, especially since the vapor is typically held in the vaper’s mouth for a few seconds every draw
- A more intense vape experience that is sometimes “too much” for new vapers
- Preferred by cloud chasers, due to the potential for giant, fluffy clouds of vapor
- Opens up the possibility for new vaping experiences, making it an enjoyable next step for vapers with more experience under their belt
If you’re new to vaping, starting with MTL vaping may be a good approach. However, there’s nothing wrong with forging your own path and making your vape journey suit your personal style and preferences.
Find All Your Vape Necessities from South Beach Smoke
Whether you decide that mouth-to-lung or direct-lung vaping is more your style, a truly excellent vape experience relies on the quality of your vape set-up. Stock up on the best vape devices, e-liquids, and more from South Beach Smoke, where you’ll find everything you need to make the most of your daily vape sessions. We carry top-rated vape products from the best brands in the business, with an always-changing selection of deals to make your vape budget stretch as far as possible.